Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Geocaching

Okay, for all of you who may not know what geocaching is, here is a description. According to wikipedia.org "Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little value. Today, well over 540,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the pastime. Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica."
We were introduced to this activity by our friend George. In less than a year Drew has now found over 100 caches. I have been able to go on a few of those adventures and a few of them have even been first to finds. That just means that we were the first to find that cache which is actually an honor. Believe it or not people have to rush out and race to be the first to find. If you are looking for an outdoor activity that is fun and can give you a workout this is it. It's also a very family friendly activity. My brother-in-law has now gotten into it and he brings my nephew and nieces out with him and their ages range between 4 and 14. They enjoy the time together. These are my three nieces when they went out caching with (Uncle) Drew. They had fun. Alexis (on the right) is holding the cache in her hand.
Anyway, I thought that since we will frequently be mention this activity that we should explain what it is since we have come across many people who haven't heard of it.


1 comment:

wendy said...

Wow, only until I read this post did I really understand what geocaching involved. That is really cool that you actually find a 'cache' or a scroll of sorts. I hope I get to try that out sometime.